Saturday, July 22, 2006

BEN


Ben
by
David Burkhart








Ben told the chaplain
My name is Ben
I just shot a nazi
Should I kill again?

Ben a young soldier
In the war of '44
Just killed his first man
Wanted it no more

The chaplain asked Ben
Did he suffer much?
Ben said "I don't think so
The trigger I just touched"

The chaplain made a statement
He said, "Listen to me Ben
You know we're at war
You've got to kill again"

What about the Commandment
Son you must not kill?
Ben, we're at war now
You were doing God's will

Ben, you'll go to Heaven
The chaplain said with a look
And he convinced Ben
But didn't prove it by the Book

(c) 1986 Dave Burkhart

Note: David Burkhart was in the U.S. Army for 7 months in 1943 and 1944. After the war, he spent the rest of his life as a Jehovah's Witness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home