Monday, July 03, 2006

Old Dave



You can read about my friend David Burkhart who died June 20 2006 in my Livejournal. What I didn't mention was that Dave was a prolific songwriter from 1984 to 1992 when illness cut short his career. I don't know if he ever got any published or if anyone ever sang any of them. I have a collection of them that I saved from the Social Worker who cleaned out his apartment when he got sick in 1992. They are just the lyrics. Dave didn't write music. I don't know if he ever got anyone to write tunes for his songs.

Anyway I have set up this blog as a memorial to Dave. What better way to honor him than with his own words. These songs or poems have sat in a black trash bag in my cellar for over 10 years just the way the Social Worker left them for the garbage. I wasn't able to save all of Dave's stuff but this one bag seemed too important at the time to end up in a landfill.

Old Dave

CHORUS
Old Dave, he don't work for nothing
And nothin' don't work for Old Dave.
He's tired and his body is weary;
The rat race has made him a slave.

VERSE 1
Old Dave, he married a woman
And Old Dave thought he had it made,
But his woman took off for California
Leaving big bills for Old Dave to pay.

VERSE 2
Dave decided to become a contractor;
He lasted one year at his trade.
Old Dave, he found out the hard way.
Makin' money isn't easy these days.

VERSE 3
Dave decided to take up the guitar
He learned three chords then he quit.
His fingers were sore to the elbow;
He just got disgusted with it.

(c) 1988 David Burkhart, Ray Sanders

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home